Saturday, August 25, 2007

The true meaning of humble

Last Friday, Owen and I went to watch Shannon's football team scrimmage. I had only planned to stay about an hour, in order to get Owen bathed, bottled and in bed at a decent hour. However, the moms of the football players and other football supporters had other plans! After instructing me to STAY, a few of them vanished for a little bit, then they came and got O and I. We walked down the bleachers to see a HUGE PILE of gifts and cards! The football families had all gone out and bought us things for Owen--clothes, toys, DIAPERS AND MORE DIAPERS, wipes...you name it! There was even a cake!

I was totally shocked, floored, and most of all, humbled. The people of Fredericktown who know us have been there for us throughout the long adoption of this little guy, and I knew they had been praying for us and thinking of us as well, but this was out of the blue. I still shake my head in wonder as I think of it. These families, who give so much of their time and energy as it is, supporting, feeding, cleaning up after (hee hee) the football players, went even more out of their way to give us, the now-complete Henson family, things we really need and things we really love for our baby Owen! To have this kindness showered upon you and your family is truly God's work, and makes me understand once again why our family ended up here.

To the Fredericktown football families: Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. We love you.

2 comments:

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Wow! That is fabulous! That is something very special to share with your little boy and hubby -- his team must love them both a lot!

Katie said...

That's awesome! YOu deserve it!!!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker