Wednesday, November 7, 2007

How scary, and rewarding, it is to love someone this much

I've been thinking a lot these last few days about our son. As usual.

During the 8.5 years of our marriage, I have learned what it truly means to love someone unconditionally. My husband has shown me this time and time again, and I learned what it meant to love someone so much that you feel like if something happened to them, you might as well be buried. I would sacrifice anything for him. He is it for me; if I was not his wife, I...I can't finish this sentence, because I honestly don't know what I'd be.

Now, with Owen, I know what it means not only to love unconditionally, but to love a person with every fiber, every cell, and to know that you'd sacrifice your life, your well-being, everything else that mattered to you, for this little person. My body hurts with the love I have for this child. I would fight to the death for him, in a heartbeat, no questions or hesitation.

My mother told me one time when I was around 4 months old, she realized that her life would be shattered if anything ever happened to me. She said she decided that even if something terrible happened the next day, she'd do it all again, because I was worth it.

I agree.

Environmentalist Edward Abbey wrote once, about his daughter Rebecca, 'I would not sacrifice your little finger to save a nation.' That, my friends, sums it up. Owen, I would not sacrifice your little finger to save a nation. You are the most blessed thing to come into our lives, and you have made our world whole and beautiful. We thank your birthmother for her brave decision, because without her, we would not have you. And, we thank God for you every day.

4 comments:

Greta Jo said...

Beautiful Post!

Erin said...

Rebecca,

This is gorgeous. It leaves me with such a wonderful sense of how amazing parenthood is. And it makes me realize how incredibly deep is God's love for us. That an earthly parent would not sacrifice a tiny little finger to save an entire nation and yet God gave up the life of his son for us.

gives me chills.
Thanks for sharing.

Erin Miller
friend of Russ & Katie

Rebecca and Shannon said...

Erin--
Wow. I had not thought of that point--and I am suddenly overwhelmed and floored by God's love, again. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful message! You are such a great mom and Owen is lucky to have you. However, I know your truth... you are the lucky one. You have a beautiful little boy and this post is a reminder to us all of how wonderful it is just to have the honor of raising and loving our little ones!

Thanks for sharing.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker