Monday, December 3, 2007

Help with sleeping issues, please...

To my fellow mommies who perhaps have been there:

We were doing just fine w/sleeping before last week. Before then, Owen would fall asleep w/one of us in our bed, and we'd move him to his bed w/o incident when we went to bed. Well, early last week he stopped that nonsense--his little head would pop up and he'd sit and try to crawl around. This would go on for as long as we let it.

So, then I started putting him in his bed first. He absolutely screams. Cries. Kicks. Tears and everything. The first night it took nearly an hour to get him to sleep. After that it was like 20 minutes each time. Not bad but exhausting for all of us. And at the same time, he's started waking up in the night howling. If I go in there, I find him sitting up or on his knees with his hands on the railing, just wailing. Last night was the worst (hence my plea for help)--he howled for 45 min. and I finally went in there. I took him out and rocked him to sleep--three times. Every time I got up he'd wake up, till the last time. (I think that was from sheer exhaustion.)

He's never let me rock him since about a month after we can home (he came home 1 Aug.). He'd sit up and twist and at that time, wanted to just be in our bed lying down to fall asleep. So rocking seems to work. But I do not want to do this at 2am. I'll do it when he goes to bed, if that works!

Has anyone else come up against this issue? Any input? If so, email me or post a comment here!

Two things we think it could be:
-teething--he has 4 coming in altho he doesn't act like they bother him AT ALL during the day

-separation anxiety

But we're just not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Teething could be it but it sounds more like separation anxiety. Toby went through this for about 3-4 months were he could not sleep unless he was next to me. I co slept with him in his room for awhile and then he slept with us for awhile. It's hard when you know that something is really bothering them, you don't want to let them cry when it's something legit. I receommend the No Cry Sleep Solution Book. It's filled with easy ways to get them to sleep along with a plan of how to do it. If you need to talk feel free to email me at crayons_markers@yahoo.com....I've been there.

Donna said...

I have no advice, sorry! We all co-sleep. If the boys wake-up in the middle of the night, they come looking for us. As long as they can touch us or feel us, they're okay. I also agree with the No Cry method. With the teething, our guys don't seem to have too much "pain" either...so maybe that is what's bothering him at night.

Good luck and Owen is quite the little doll!! Hope you all get some sleep and rest! Prayers!

MiaJ said...

This is a hot topic! I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Early on Josh and I decided co-sleeping was not for us. We really needed those couple hours in the evening to connect as a couple and wanted our bed to be for us only. This is a totally personal decision and I don't think either is right or wrong. If you decide you don't want to co-sleep, sounds like he may need to "learn" to fall asleep in his own bed by himself. Unfortuanately, I think some crying will be involved. Be consistent. DON'T let him come back in your bed. I wouldn't recommend getting him up to rock either. I'd just go in pat his back every 15 minutes, let him know you are still there and then leave. I could write for ever about this. You can email me if you want at servinchrist@juno.com
I wasn't exactly sure if you wanted to co-sleep so all of this may be useless to you. Good luck! I hope you get a good night sleep soon!

Rebecca and Shannon said...

TY so much to all of you! I have ordered 3 different sleep books, incl. No Cry Sleep Soln. I think till then we'll probably cosleep. :)

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker