Thursday, October 11, 2007

My grandpa's legacy and love.


My father's father was a woodworker, and a wonderful one at that. He made tables, chairs, wine bottle stoppers, lamp bases, and toys. Several years ago, after Shannon and I had been married for a while, he made some wooden toys for our future children. He made a little pull-toy rabbit, and little man whose legs and arms pop up when you pull a string at the base, and this wooden horse for riding. I got it out for Owen a couple of nights ago. He sat on it and tried to push it forward (he can do rocking toys, like rocking horses), and I pushed him around the kitchen on it for a long time. He also likes to push it around the kitchen.

Every time I see him with it or on it, I get teary-eyed. My grandfather was one of the most amazing, loving men I've ever met. Everyone loved him, in the way that you can love someone who is genuine, funny, kind, and laughs easily. Kids adored him. Some of my best memories are of spending summers at the house w/he and my g'ma, and laughing and laughing at his jokes and teases. I still miss him so, so much. He would have loved Owen, and Owen would have thought he just walked on water. I was so lucky to have my grandfathers till I was more than 30 years old, both of them...they died within 2 months of each other. I still miss them terribly. My grandmothers are still around, still active and quite feisty...and they are such a blessing.

But oh, I miss my grandpas. But the love they gave to me, I will pass on to my son, their great-grandson.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Becca,

I know I never comment but I try to keep up with Arianna's guy here often! I just had to say this is the sweetest tribute to your grandpa. Thanks for sharing!

Natalie (nattyloo on a.com)

Sharon said...

Oh, friend, I love that you have those for Owen! What an amazing gift!

Steve & Amy said...

What gifts! I know some day Owen will understand what a special man he was. I know your grandpa is looking down at Owen from heaven smiling that his toys are bringing Owen such joy.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker