Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hola

First of all, thanks so much to all of the sweet, supportive emails from those of you who read my weepy last post. Owen and I feel so loved, even way down here.

Things are better. Our KO has not yet actually come out of PGN, so we can't fix it yet, but if it's what we think it is, it will be a quick fix. Shannon is feeling better after a tough week adjusting to his huge hard cast...his mom compared him to a dinosaur. He's a big guy anyway, and so needs a big cast, and that just weighs him down. But he's getting help from them, and our friend Dave, so he's surviving, and looks forward to me coming back on Wed. I will miss Owen terribly, but Shannon needs his wife to help him out!

That said, we plan for me to be back here fostering Owen around 1 July. I told a woman who owns a big 4-bedroom house here that I would like to rent from her. There are 4 moms and babies there now, and 3 will be leaving for home forever very soon. Hooray for them! Money will be tight...but Guatemala is not the most expensive place ever.

Owen vomited 3x in the last 3 days, so we went to the little hospital her in Antigua this morning, with help from Katie and Eliot, showing us where to go. I know what you might think--a hospital here in this 3rd world country must be a hole in the wall. But it is very, very clean, and new, open, and just plan very nice. The doc was great, and determined that Owen didn't have an ear infection, which was my main fear, or gastrointestinal problems, and so prescribed some drops for just in case he vomits again. The visit was about $15, and the meds were like $6. Unreal! And all they wanted at the hospital was Owen's name. Not my name, not my passport, nothing else. Very nice!

It's been a gorgeous few days here, and the rain is on its way in right now. I love the storms here.

Owen continues to be a honey, so cute it kills me, and just full of life. He studies books, splashes in the baby bathtub, puts his toes in his mouth--how long do yoga people work to do that?--and loves people. He woke up from a nap to our friend Inken the other day, as I dashed across the street for a Coca-Cola Light, and she said he looked at her strangely, as if to say, 'you're not my mom!' Which secretly delighted me...

We look forward to our friends Hardy and Daniel, Jessica and Michael and Jaden all being here in the next few days. Jaden's early 1 year-old party is tomorrow, and I'll be meeting someone from the adoption forums as well. So while it's not home, and I miss my husband, family, friends and dogs so much, we are not lonely here for company. Most of the time, anyway...

Love you all! Email me anytime!

1 comment:

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

You are an amazing mom and wife -- don't let moments of stress let you forget that. Your baby is adorable and it is obvious that he feels well loved by you (photos do speak louder than words).

I remember how hard the wait was to bring home DD and it wasn't nearly the time you have faced. Your words on the forum encouraged me during that time and I'm here to give that back to you. I'll be praying that your KO comes soon and is a quick fix. (((Hugs)))
~Beckie

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker